Saturday, July 02, 2011

Tunitas Creek sharp-tailed snake


04/02/2011 @ 5:48:46 PM PDT
Riding up Tunitas Creek Road in coastal San Mateo County, I found a curious-looking stick on the road under the redwoods. It was very straight, but ever so slightly undulating. I picked it up, and it became a dead snake, and when I started to put it back down, it became a very alive Sharp-tailed snake (Contia longicaudae). Charmed by the warmth of the road, it was probably waiting for some food to amble by.

5 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Anonymous alex said...

very interesting snake

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Geckostone said...

One time I came home from work and in the dim light I saw my room mate's belt laying on the kitchen floor. I reached to pick it up complaining about his laziness and it squirmed under the cabinets! Never saw it agian and don't know what kind of snake it was but that was wild!!!

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous about snakes said...

cute little guy

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Connor said...

Very cool snake. I had never even heard of it until now, but I will be looking up some info on it sooner or later now that I know of it.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Laguna de Apoyo said...

If any reader is interested in performing biodiversity research on herps in Nicaragua, we would be interested in collaborating or facilitating your work. Estacion Biologica Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua, www.gaianicaragua.org.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home