Thursday, August 03, 2006

Ranch Rattler Roundup


04/30/2006 @ 09:57:34 AM MDT
Snake rescue program manager Tom Wyant invited us to a rattlesnake roundup on a ranch in Moriarty, New Mexico this past spring. We were going to round up as many rattlers as we could at the site of a communal den on the ranch, but we got there a few weeks too late and only found a few, including this fine specimen of a western diamondback (Crotalus atrox) which was spotted by my friend Jeff.


04/30/2006 @ 09:58:35 AM MDT
Getting the hook.


04/30/2006 @ 09:58:55 AM MDT
Into the bag.


04/30/2006 @ 11:06:43 AM MDT
C.J. Carman is the undisputed king (as far as I know) of venomous reptiles, domestic and exotic, in all of New Mexico. Here he admires a great plains rat snake (Elaphe gutatta emoryi) that was found by the young scion of the ranch family.


04/30/2006 @ 02:58:50 PM MDT
Toms holds a western coachwhip (Masticophis flagellum) that I apparently drove right by as we 4-wheeled around the ranch.

7 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Babe said...

I'm glad you like snakes but.........all I can say is "yuck"!

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Radiant Times said...

gorgeous snakes!!
I'm in southern NM and have not been so adventurous to go snake hunting. We know the Reptile Rescue man here, though. Good guy!

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Pat said...

I saw a big snake in Tanzania, wasn't to happy about it! But your site is exciting!

Africa Photos

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger lisa said...

I absolutely LOVE your blog!! Up here in extreme NE Wisconsin, we have a few herps...I get pics every chance I get, and try to create habitat (lying down boards, brushpiles, etc.), I also use zero chemicals in my flower gardens, which seems to make all my fauna happy. In fact, for the past two weeks, I have seen literally HUNDREDS of baby frogs all over my yard (I don't mow, either-one benefit of laziness). Mostly wood frogs, tree frogs, and some baby toads. I have a mink frog in my water garden, skinks under the deck, and garter snakes trying to eat them all! Feels like "herp heaven"...but your area really looks like it!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger snakeflake said...

Tell me you are not collecting rattlers for the Alamagordo Rattlesnake Roundup!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

Tell me you are not collecting rattlers for the Alamagordo Rattlesnake Roundup!

I'd sooner collect the scalps of the roundup collectors.

We relocate rattlesnakes, saving them from the likes of roundup collectors and ranchers seeking to eradicate them.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger snakeflake said...

Thats a relief!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home