Monday, July 10, 2006

It's Good To Live Near Arizona


05/29/2004 @ 06:02:29 PM MDT
In May of 2004 we went to Cave Creek Canyon in the Chiricahua Mountains in the Coronado National Forest in southeastern Arizona, one of the "sky islands" in the desert of the American Southwest and an area that supports a diverse array of herptofauna. First up was this pair of canyon tree frogs (Hyla arenicolor).

05/29/2004 @ 06:04:43 PM MDT


05/29/2004 @ 06:27:16 PM MDT
Next, my friend Megan came upon this baby female mottled rock rattlesnake (Crotalus lepidus lepidus.) Its strikingly beautiful markings were stunning against the backdrop of its habitat.

05/29/2004 @ 06:29:08 PM MDT


05/30/2004 @ 11:02:01 AM MDT
The following day we came upon this Yarrow's spiny lizard (Sceloporus jarrovii). We also heard a rock rattlesnake in some rocks on the trail (imagine that!), but we couldn't manage to pull him into daylight.


05/31/2004 @ 11:12:54 AM MDT
On the third day of the trip, my friend Jeff and I hiked further up Cave Creek. As we were exploring a sandstone outcropping next to the creek, we came upon this greenish mottled rock rattlesnake, the hue indicating its sex as male. It was sitting on the rock under a blanket of leaves, buzzing as we looked for it. We had a very difficult time determining exactly where it was as the rattling was bouncing around under the leaves off the irregular rock surfaces. As it turns out, I was standing right next to it wearing river sandals. Much of the time we were looking for it I was within striking range. Fortunately, it didn't strike and I learned to stay out of the leaves while wearing sandals when there are rattlesnakes afoot.


05/31/2004 @ 12:10:41 PM MDT
Another Yarrow's spiny lizard up the creek.


05/31/2004 @ 05:50:48 PM MDT
On the hike out we captured this striped plateau lizard (Sceloporus virgatus). These orange markings indicate this is a mature female in the middle of her breeding season.

05/31/2004 @ 05:52:53 PM MDT


06/01/2004 @ 11:49:58 AM MDT
On our last day in southeast Arizona we visited the Sonoran Desert National Monument outside of Tucson, Arizona. We arrived too late in the day to see anything other than this greater earless lizard (Cophosaurus texanus) taking refuge in the 100 degree-plus desert heat.

23 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger James Hitchcock said...

Great photos, but I didn't realize my ex-wife was vacationing out west recently. It must be her, the third and fourth photos are a spittin' image.

Need any Really Bad Advice?

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

I always love to see a nature blog!

: )

Welcome to the blogger front page.

Come see my microscope blog if you want.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

I must have been doing it wrong

You gotta walk the riparian zones. Where there's available water is where you'll see the wildlife.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

And the hippies...

Not if you pick the spots which require an all-day hike to get to. That's the secret to seeing good nature, going where the humans don't.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muita coragem

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger chumly said...

Pictures I can look at, live ones make me walk and sometimes run away.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger BionicBuddha said...

Great pictures...those snakes can be a handful!


www.bionicbuddha.com

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool guy. Keep up the good work. Our poor little disappearing herps need all the friends they can get.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Ben Myers said...

I have more in common with reptiles than most humans. http://honeyedmouth.blogspot.com

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty, beautiful reptiles!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Dolphinhugr said...

Hey, It's about time I came across another herp lover! I'm a 16 year old living in Washington state, envying your good reptile location. I like taking pictures of wildlife myself and I (being a novice) was just wondering what kind of camera you use? And was this camera expensive?
~Courtney

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

I (being a novice) was just wondering what kind of camera you use?

The bulk of these photographs were taken with a 5 megapixel Canon PowerShot G5. A few were taken with an 8 megapixel Canon PowerShot SD550 Digital ELPH. I'm now using a Canon PowerShot S3 IS. It cost me about $425 from one of the online retailers. I use a 2 gigabyte memory card that cost about $100.

The great thing about my new Canon is it's got a swiveling screen, making it much easier to frame the shot without having to stand behind the camera. I can swivel the viewscreen up and shoot from the hip, etc. Another great feature is the intervalometer, which allows me to make time lapse movies of the weather, another hobby of mine.

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you on blogs of note. It takes a really good nature blog for me to add it to my side bar favorites. I hope you don't mind, I added you to my favs today and made reference in a post. You're the 4th link I've added in a year's time (if that gives you an idea of how worthy I think your blog is.) I'm in eastern NC in the woods. The great outdoors is my life! I've done some small scale rehab before (no snakes though, but I love snakes). One of my best friends works for NC Wildlife Commission doing rehab for this area -beavers, raptors, deer, coons, osprey, otters, fox (the usual for this area.)

Come and take a look sometime if you'd like. Just bypass the occasional policital rants. I hope to set up a new blog soon without any mention of politics. The beauty of the outdoors and politicians do not mix.

Happy trails.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Guaaau!! Very nice photos!!!!!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Knitty Yas said...

I live in AZ and you wouldnt believe how many people out here take advantage (take for granted) the nature stuff out here. it really is a beautiful state. just not when its 115 degrees outside.

and screw anyone who says "well at least its a dry heat" uhh once its passes 110... its just damned hot.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have three frogs living in the window well to my basement. They are so cute.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Heidi on Vashon said...

So cool! These are great photos and great creatures you wouldn't catch (some, maybe) on rocks here in Seattle. Thx for sharing. -hw

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

I would love to see more!

New post!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Emm said...

nice photos i love them really beautiful. Good job and keep workin' that hard ;)

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

Thanks to all who've come and have offered words of encouragement.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Nicole Yavasile said...

I came to your blog thinking I would be reading about your struggles with herpes. I was even more intrigued by what I did find.

I adore reptiles and commend your good PR. They need all they can get.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Me said...

Awesome pictures!

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nmherps rocks! pics are great and the nails on the hands are even better. < g>
i own a eleven year old 4 ft ball python named Spot.

janmagic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home